Saturday, October 20, 2012

Northern Harrier


Northern Harrier
Circus cyaneus

I was sure I had never seen a Northern Harrier before but I was in North Dakota and saw a hawk that I didn't recognize.  It had a long tail and what looked like a small head for a large bird.  I did not have a camera so I made a mental note of its features and looked it up in Sibley's when I got home - aha!  a Northern Harrier.  I photographed this Northern Harrier far west of the Texas hill country in the Pecos area.  I saw several over the course of a week flying low over the scrub brush in search of a meal.  I was watching a small playa full of killdeer, teal, and gadwall when everything suddenly scattered.  This female (males are gray and have a white underbelly) swooped low over the mesquite surrounding the playa looking to grab one of these flying morsels but without luck.  The picture above is the harrier as it gracefully glided over the small trees looking for one of the killdeer that might have been unaware of its presence. The facial disk gives it an owl-like appearance and this is one of the distinguishing features that helps me identify them.  The other is the very conspicuous white rump with a long tail.  Raptors are interesting and beautiful birds and Texas is fortunate to have many, including Northern Harriers, wander through during the fall migration period. 


This picture of the Northern Harrier provides a good view of the distinctive white rump, longer tail than most hawks, and the facial disk line that gives it an owl-like appearance, especially when viewed head on.


This view of the Northern Harrier shows the white rump, barred secondary feathers on the wings and the brown streaking over a buffy colored body.  The facial disk can also be seen. The next time you see a hawk like bird gliding low over a marsh or field, it might just be a Northern Harrier.

1 comment:

  1. I live in far South Austin and saw a bird that I thought was one of those pesky Black Vultures but something just did not ring right as I got a closer look. Finally I decided it was a hawk and looked it up today. Nothing seemed to connect till I saw the Harrier. Your photo looks just like the one I saw flying towards me then slightly overhead. Thanks for you beautiful documentation in photos.

    ReplyDelete